Animal testing statistics are horrifying. They can shock you even if you don’t care much about this issue. It’s so sad that it can make you want to look away and forget about it, but that won’t stop animal testing.
Knowing more about this issue helps you make better-informed decisions about the products you buy and use daily.
Little Known Animal Testing Facts
- Official US statistics don’t count 99% of the tested animals.
- Over 100 million animals are tested in the US yearly.
- Laws protecting animals from testing don’t include smaller rodents, birds, and amphibians.
- One test can use as many as 120,000 animals.
- Official US animal testing polls don’t count 92% of the animals used for medical testing.
- Around 10 million animals are killed in US classrooms every year.
- US government bodies don’t regulate labels stating a product has not been tested on animals.
- Chinese law requires cosmetic companies to conduct animal testing.
Stats on Animal Testing
Animal testing facts and statistics can be terrible to read, but it’s necessary to inform yourself. Animals don’t have a voice, so the only way to make a real change is to vote with your feet.
1. Animal Testing Is Used Unnecessarily for Products Like Fabric Softener
(Source: Humane Society International)
- Some medicine and pesticides tests require thousands of trials. Many of them use the same animals as much as three times.
- Most tests employ methods such as force-feeding, skin application, and injection, with no pain reliever. Factory farming also treats animals in similar inhumane ways.
- The US government doesn’t legally require testing on animals for new products. Unfortunately, animal testing statistics show that even with animal testing, there’s a 92% chance the drug won’t make it past the human trial phase.
Agencies state that animal testing is beneficial for human health. But animal experimentation statistics show it isn’t true, and animals aren’t necessary for this process. 100 or 50 years ago we had limited knowledge of medicine, but it’s unethical in today’s modern world.
2. Official Animal Testing Statistics Don’t Include 99% of the Animals Used.
- Animal testing cruelty statistics fail to include millions of mice, rats, birds, and amphibians. This fabrication of the truth makes the public believe that testing is rarely occurring.
- Painful tests like dropping toxic chemicals into bunnies’ eyes are sometimes approved for human trials even if an animal shows adverse effects.
- Don’t trust the label since the US government bodies don’t regulate them.
The accuracy of animal testing statistics is so low because no one reports them. Leaving out chunks of details to fit a certain narrative has adverse effects on humans, too. If the information is incorrect, you could agree to things that don’t align with your morals.
Animal Testing Industries That Will Surprise You
Many industries use animal testing to distribute their products legally. Here are the ones you may not know about that show us why animal testing is bad.
3. Eyes and Skin Irritation Tests Are Common in the Cosmetic Industry
(Source: United States Humane Society)
- The makeup industry is notorious for unnecessary tests on animals. These tests don’t even prove anything. Mice and bunnies have different skin than humans, making the results invalid.
- Cosmetic animal testing statistics show that many tested animals receive no pain relief. Also, they live in horrible conditions with no outside air or sunlight.
- The FDA (Federal Drug Administration) doesn’t require animal testing on cosmetics. Companies are making this choice themselves.
Always read the labels to ensure you’re purchasing cruelty-free makeup products.
4. Biology Classroom Experiments Kill Approximately 10 Million Animals Each Year
- There’s a massive backlash against schools across the US. Many of them perform unnecessary dissections of frogs and mice in biology classes.
- Studies about animal testing show that computer technology is far more educational and cruelly-free.
- Common “fun” science tricks include: driving pins into frogs’ brains while they’re still alive, smashing turtles’ heads with hammers, and putting mice in horrific environments.
- These tests affect humans, too. Many studies suggest that students forced to dissect animals do so out of fear of failing their course.
Such acts are entirely inhumane and must end. Animals testing facts report they have little to no educational value, so there’s no need for these experiments.
5. The Medical Industry Has Been Testing on Animals for Over Half a Century
(Source: Cruelty Free International)
- Labs test mainly monkeys when it comes to medications and medical procedures intended for humans. But that has the same insufficient statistical evidence as testing other species.
- There are far more humane ways to test medicine. For instance, scientists can now replicate human DNA to provide accurate reactions and effects for studying.
- Medical animal testing statistics show that 81% of monkey experiments in the UK were for medical testing.
Animal testing in medicine was once the most valid scientific proposal. But with modern technology, its benefits are now invalid. Drug testing on animals facts show us how ruthless this industry can be.
Who Benefits From Animal Testing?
Animal testing costs statistics will shock most people. There’s little information on the topic, so it’s understandable why you don’t know enough. But while the pet industry is booming, breeders supply animals for testing illegally.
6. Animal Breeders Profit the Most
- Many news articles display the horrific atrocities of animal testing, so how does this industry continue to grow? Research suggests animal breeders profit millions every year due to the high demand.
- Companies use illegal animal breeders to obtain protected animal species for testing.
- National health initiatives and pharmaceutical companies spend millions on animal testing every year. What’s more, researchers, universities, and academics all profit from it, too.
Animal testing statistics show that much of what occurs between companies and animal breeders is under the table. In most cases, it’s unregulated and illegal.
7. Carers Are Paid to Turn Their Backs
(Source: First Post)
- Animal testing continues because companies and laboratories state good care for the animals. Reports suggest it’s untrue. Besides, vets and carers receive obscene amounts of money to ignore the test subjects’ suffering.
- Carers fabricate reports to meet regulatory requirements.
We’ve only scratched the surface and may never know the real story of what happens in these labs. Researchers suspect that the truth is far worse. Some animal testing money statistics bring to light shocking information about who gains the most from the business.
Countries and Animal Testing
There’s a mass movement from large countries banning these experiments. But huge markets still thrive on animals tested for cosmetics. For example, Chinese law requires large makeup brands to conduct animal testing. Read on for more shocking animal testing makeup facts.
8. The US Cosmetics Industry Is the Largest in the World
- The US beauty industry is worth close to $90 billion.
- Eye cosmetics is the most popular segment and also among the most highly animal-tested ones.
- Do your research. You may not know that a big brand makes a product you use. Multinational companies often buy small cosmetics brands.
- Bigger companies often test on animals as they have a significant market share in countries such as China.
Animal testing statistics in the United States are very high for a country that doesn’t legally require it. Over 100 million tests are conducted annually, which just scratches the surface of the actual numbers.
9. China Has the Second Largest Cosmetics Industry
- China imports over a third of cosmetic products from other countries.
- The consumption value of beauty products is worth more than $58 Billion. Many companies don’t pull their products from Chinese shelves because of the growing makeup industry.
- Animal testing in China is mandatory for cosmetics. The rules and regulations are extensive and difficult to avoid.
With the growing number of animals tested for cosmetics, it’s vital to stop these experiments in China. That’s why brands need to start pulling their products. It’s all based on supply and demand. So, if larger companies stop importing products, the Chinese government could change regulations.
Animal Testing Alternatives
The technology to find alternatives is here. It’s time to abandon the cruel processes of the medical, cosmetic, and cleaning industries.
10. Alternatives Offer Better Results
(Source: Cruelty Free International)
- Alternatives to animal testing statistics show that not only do they provide better results, but they’re also far more reliable.
- Scientists start to admit that many conducted tests aren’t necessary. Tests often use the exact same compound, which is a waste of valuable time and money.
- Some scientists don’t want alternatives as they’re used to animal testing.
- Alternatives can harness results much faster and are cheaper than animal testing.
From this standpoint, it’s clear to see why there’s such a growing movement to stop the use of animal testing in all industries. But if there are better and cheaper alternatives, why are animal testing statistics on the rise in the US?
11. Alternatives Are on the Rise
- The most rapidly rising substitute is cell cultures. Modern science allows us to grow human and animal cells in labs. They’re far more effective in seeing the actual product effects as the DNA is replicated and not merely assumed to be similar.
- Harvard’s Wyss Institute develops organs grown on microfluidic devices, similar to microchips. It’s the future of testing, and a recognized alternative that will reduce animal testing percentages.
- Live human trials allow people to contribute more. Many are selflessly offering to be test subjects for more reliable results.
- Computer modeling is growing. It helps us mimic disease progression, as well as provide reliable live medical procedure simulations.
Animal testing alternatives are fast the future of the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries. Statistics showing how many animals are killed each year for animal testing are a massive driving force behind these new and innovative alternatives.
What You Can Do to Help
There are ways that you can decrease how many animals die a year from animal testing.
Join One of the Countless Initiatives Against Animal Testing
(Source: Ethical Elephant)
- Cruelty Free International has many programs to stop animal testing worldwide. Besides, it provides accurate animal testing statistics. Help by donating to their worthy cause.
- Many companies that want a change in the makeup industry back up the Humane Society International. Sign their pledge to stop cosmetic animal testing.
- National Anti-Vivisection Society (NAVS) leads the science world with new testing methods that don’t include animals. They expose the industry and show why animal testing should be banned. Donate or sign their petition to support the cause.
All of these initiatives shed light on animal testing cruelty. The main objective is to ban animal testing across the globe and prevent unnecessary punishment of innocent animals.
Small Changes Make a Huge Difference
- Research is key. Do your homework by checking drug testing on animals facts to see if the products you use are ethically sound.
- Raise your voice instead of turning the other way. Prepare animal abuse statistics and reach out to companies to let them know you disagree with their practices.
- Look for beauty products that don’t test on animals.
- Most importantly, vote with your feet. If you disagree, the biggest statement you can make is to stop buying these products and helping their financial gain. It’s often the only way for conglomerates to notice and try to change.
There are ways you can personally make a difference in how many animals die from animal testing. Gaining the knowledge to make informed decisions is a big step in the right direction.
To Sum Up
Animal testing facts display the harsh reality of innocent animals across the globe. Atrocities are still taking place, regardless of scientific evidence that animal testing is wrong. The industries that benefit are vast, and the money poured into them shows no signs of slowing down.
Unless more people read animal testing statistics to inform themselves and others, there’d be little change. We can make significant progress if more people know their place in the industry and what they’re contributing to. Animals don’t deserve to suffer for the selfish nature of man.