Do you know that cruelty towards animals is rarely reported? As a result, the real animal abuse statistics numbers are way higher than you can imagine. But even the ones we have are pretty disheartening.
It’s a worldwide issue that needs more proponents, and non-profit organizations are doing what they can to reduce animal cruelty. That said, more individuals should be aware of the issue and inform others.
We now see how deep the problem’s impact is, but what can one person do to help? Well, knowledge and discussion can go a long way if we arm ourselves with the right facts.
Disturbing Animal Cruelty Facts
- One animal is abused every minute.
- Annually, over 10 million animals in the US are abused to death.
- 97% of animal cruelty cases come from farms, where most of these creatures die.
- Laboratory testing uses 115 million animals in experiments every year.
- Dogs comprise 65% of all abused animals.
- Consumption is at fault for the yearly death of more than 100,000 horses in the US.
- Above 50% of the US’s fur comes from China, where cats and dogs are bled and skinned to death.
Animal Abuse Stats in 2021
Animal cruelty has different faces. It can be intentional, like in factory farming or lab testing, or the complete neglect of an organization or a pet owner. Whatever the case, the animal abuse facts and statistics keep rising.
1. One Animal Is Abused Every Minute
- By the time you read this article, 10 animals will be abused. Some would even die due to torture and neglect.
- 10 million animals in the US are abused to death annually. That includes birds, fish, monkeys, and pigs. But there are thousands of mice in labs for testing that companies never mention.
- 100,000 horses die in the US every year — that’s over 4 million since 1980. Most of them are healthy and could continue to live if it wasn’t for the horse meat demand.
There are many ways to mistreat an animal. We often focus on animal abuse and human violence statistics in large organizations and factory farming stats. Meanwhile, we turn a blind eye to domestic violence that also affects pets.
2. 71% of Individuals Connected to Domestic Violence Have Also Abused Animals or Pets
(Source: Humane Society)
- 88% of people investigated for child abuse also hurt animals. As violence breeds more violence, these kids grow up more likely to treat animals badly in the future.
- US adults have a pet abuse prevalence of 1.89%. Animal abuse statistics and research show that adult men abuse animals more, especially those with less education and a low-income level.
- 250,000 animals are hoarded each year. Cat and dog lovers can take it too far, gathering hundreds of animals in one place without proper care. That’s why many of them experience malnourishment and various medical issues.
So, humans are not the only species that suffer from domestic violence. Pet ownership stats report that it got much worse during the pandemic for both people and pets. And dog abuse facts are a huge part of this horrible equation.
3. Dogs Comprise 65% of All Animals Suffering Abuse
- The US has over 10,000 puppy mills. Over 2 million pups are bred for money and live in a disturbing environment that spreads disease and death.
- 50% of Pit Bulls in shelters are euthanized.
- 10,000 Bulldogs die in organized gambling dog fights every year.
Is that the way to treat a man’s best friend? Dogs remain the most popular pet worldwide, so they also become the biggest victim of violent owners and breeders. But other animal species suffer just as much.
Animal Abuse Statistics Worldwide
Animal abuse is prevalent not just in the US but all over the world. Here are the most recent animal cruelty facts and figures from around the globe.
4. In China, Almost 6,000 tigers Are Held Captive for Traditional Medicine
(Source: World Animal Protection)
- The exotic bird trade causes the extinction of 1/3 parrot species. People sell these birds for illegal trading or fighting. Simultaneously, birds keep losing their habitat, and the combination of the two might soon add parrots to the list of endangered species.
- Every 30 seconds, someone reports animal abuse to the UK’s RSPCA. Despite their 24/7 efforts, the organization can solve only around 100,000 cases annually.
- Denmark justified killing 17 million minks that had Covid-19 for fur. It was meant to prevent the virus from spreading to humans, but the ethical question is still part of the animal abuse and death statistics.
- Labs around the world experiment on over 115 million animals every year. But that’s only an educated guess as countries don’t usually tell us much about their animal testing data. We know that the US uses 15.6 million animals, while the EU goes over 23 million.
Globally, industries mistreat animals in different ways to serve their own needs. But isn’t there a more humane approach? Surely, farmers take good care of their animals and keep them safe.
Farm Animal Abuse Statistics
In reality, farm animals are subjects to horrible conditions. They’re mass-produced for money and forced to eat, breed and live in their own excrements. Animal abuse statistics show how it’s all done in the name of profit and demand for meat and dairy products.
5. Farm Animals Make Up 97% of All Abused Animals
(Source: LCA Animal)
- Compared to other animals in US slaughterhouses, there are 10 times more killed birds.
- Factory farms force 95% of pigs to live, eat, and sleep in small cages.
- Cows are raised to produce 10 times more milk than normal, which leads to numerous health issues, with milking machines cutting and hurting them regularly. While cows tend to have a lifespan of 20–25 years, they can only bear a maximum of five on farms worldwide.
As the demand for meat and dairy consumption keeps rising, more and more animals never see the light of day. As animal abuse in factory farms spreads, statistics show that many species are mutilated daily, so even a small change in your diet can make a difference in the long run.
Animal Testing Abuse Statistics
Labs around the globe are also responsible for mass animal torture. Many of the creatures involved in experiments are never reported, and regulations are lacking.
6. US Laboratories Abuse Around 75,000 Dogs Annually With Medications
- Meanwhile, the number of cats in laboratories is over 19,000. Many of them come from shelters and are dissected in schools around the US.
- But the cats are still a small fraction of the 10 million animals that meet their death in the classroom.
- One lab test may involve up to 120,000 animals.
Decades ago, science didn’t have another way to solve this issue. But, in recent years, the alternatives to animal testing are growing. So, why are labs still torturing animals?
Entertainment Industry Animal Abuse Statistics
The next time you’re reminiscing about the days when you were little, and your parents took you to the circus, we hope you can recall some of these alarming circus animal abuse facts.
7. 96% of Circus Animals Live and Die There
- Between 2000 and 2021, there were 35 incidents involving elephants in circuses. Mostly, the animals are trying to escape a life of small cages and painful training with electric prods. Elephants attack people while they’re running away, leading to injuries and casualties on both sides.
- But elephants are not the only ones that suffer. US circuses have abused and killed 126 big cats since 1990. As the government doesn’t check the training sessions, tigers and lions are often hit and dragged by chains.
- According to the animal abuse in zoos statistics, rules for interactions between animals and people are violated in 75% of the cases. People shouldn’t be allowed to get too close to the animals, which causes them stress and anxiety.
Animal abuse and neglect statistics make it hard to enjoy the circus the same way we once did. Reports of animals hurting people in the entertainment industry all come down to performers abusing the species in the first place. No animal is safe, not even in the wild.
Wild Animal Abuse Statistics
Due to many people who believe in rare animals’ body parts’ magical properties, illegal hunting is on the rise, and we’re beginning to suffer the consequences
8. Every Year The Demand for Ivory Gets 35,000 Elephants Poached
- Fin Soup is made annually after the illegal killing of over 100 million sharks. What’s more, animal abuse statistics report that fishing gear kills or injures over 650,000 marine mammals annually.
- The average lifespan of sloths in the entertainment industry is only six months. These animals enjoy a quiet life and can’t stand the crowds of people around their cage looking for a selfie. The experience is so stressful that most sloths can’t handle it.
- According to pet industry statistics, 75% of wild reptiles die within a few months to a year of becoming pets. These animals need a natural environment for a normal and healthy life.
Remember such animal abuse cases next time you’re looking at a cool exotic pet or see an animal on display for selfies.
Industries torture and mutilate more than 100 million animals each year. Most of them die in factory farms without ever seeing daylight, but others turn into victims of lab experiments and circus entertainers. Even in the wild, humans poach rare species and destroy habitats.
No animal deserves such cruelty. All this death contributes to the alarming extinction rate, and soon there will be no going back. So, help these animal abuse statistics reach more people who care, and treat each creature you meet with kindness and respect. And if you’re looking after a dog that’s been abused, know that there are ways to help your furry pal. Getting a calming dog bed or treats is a good way to ease the anxiety these dogs often experience in a new environment.