More than two-thirds of pups over the age of three suffer from some sort of periodontal disease. But you can save your pet the pain with the best dental chews for dogs.
Everyone knows dental health is crucial for the overall well-being of dogs. But getting your puppy to sit for its daily brushing is near impossible.
That’s where dental chews come in to save the day.
How We Evaluated the Finest Dog Chews
Here are the essential aspects we considered for our evaluation.
Ingredients and Quality
High-quality is an absolute must for any type of dog food. So we looked for treats that contain the least amount of ingredients — the more natural, the better. Still, some added vitamins and minerals, like Omega-3 acids, improve dogs’ overall health. Unnecessary additives like antibiotics and preservatives won’t make it on our list.
VOHC Seal or Vet Approved/Recommended
VOHC stands for Veterinary Oral Health Council, and a seal from them makes a brand much more trustworthy. It’s one of the highest certifications available. Vet-recommended products are also good since professionals know the best dog dental chews. Most products on our list have the VOHC seal and are vet-recommended.
When it comes to dental chews, size matters. Big dogs will simply gulp down a treat made for smaller pups, so we aimed to include products for a range of pup sizes and breeds (5–50+ lbs).
Some chews come with many extras like minerals, vitamins, and anti-tartar agents. But we prefer products with no artificial ingredients or fillers like wheat and grain that can cause allergies. In our search for the top shelf healthy dental chews for dogs, we discovered shape as an optional extra, with a massive variety for different pup sizes and life stages. So, we included different shapes like rope, bone, rawhide, and even some that look like a toothbrush.
Value for Price & Product Reputation
All the chews on our list are great value for money, considering the product quantity and quality. Some may be higher in price, but their quality is above average.
We also looked thoroughly at the reviews of the finest dental chews for dogs. Instead of relying on product descriptions, the users’ perspective gives us a better idea of what a product is truly like.
Dog Dental Hygiene — Why Is It important?
It often comes as a surprise to pup owners, but dog dental health is just as vital as every other aspect of their health. If you disregard it for too long, even the optimal dental care chews for dogs won’t help.
Be on the lookout for food avoidance, bleeding gums, loose teeth, or bad breath. But dogs are quite good at hiding their pain, so don’t assume it will be an in-your-face symptom.
Bad dental and oral hygiene can lead to severe health complications like infection, periodontal disease, tooth decay, severe pain, and gingivitis.
The bacteria building up tartar can get into the bloodstream and cause organ damage, which is the worst-case scenario. But you can prevent it.
To stay on top of things, you need to keep your dog’s oral health in pristine condition. We’ve compiled everything you should know and the products that will keep your pup healthy.
All-natural, savory-flavored dental chews packed with vitamins and minerals to help keep your pup’s dental and overall health in pristine condition. It carries the VOHC seal and is vet-recommended.
These are one of the finest all-natural dental chews for dogs. They’re packed with vitamins and minerals to keep dental hygiene and overall health at optimum levels.
Also, it’s vet-recommended and carries a VOHC seal. The chews come in all sizes — teenie treats (5–15 lbs), petite pups (15–25 lbs), regular (25–50 lbs), and large (50–100 lbs). Their texture helps clean off plaque and tartar build-up, and most puppers love the savory flavor.
The regular box includes 36 treats. That’s close to $1 per treat, which is expensive compared with other options on the list. But the quality is above average.
These veterinarian-recommended dog chews are specifically for dogs between 25–50 lbs. Always make sure to follow the directions, as dogs smaller than the recommended weight may react badly to the product.
- Unique texture that fights off plaque
- Added vitamins and minerals for overall health
- VOHC seal
- All-natural ingredients
- Great savory flavor
- Options for all pup sizes
- Can be a bit dry
Why we choose this product: It’s one of the leading natural dental chews for dogs based on popularity among customers. The added minerals and vitamins are a great pro, especially since the product is all-natural.
Dog breath chews for pups over 50 lbs with a patented design for all the hard-to-reach places. It contains no artificial flavors, and most pups love the natural taste of the chews. Fresh breath and healthy gums are one chew a day away.
It’s one of the finest dental chews for extra large dogs over 50 lbs. The product has 12 essential vitamins and minerals and no artificial flavors.
Each bag contains six sealed treats to keep the product fresher for longer. Also, there’s a large range of quantities, ranging from 6–90 treats.
You can give the treat daily. It has a VOHC seal, and its patented design is specifically for removing excess plaque and maintaining healthy gums. The ridges work like a toothbrush, possibly even better since you won’t have a squirming pupper to contend with.
What’s more, these oral hygiene chews for dogs freshen the breath of your pup.
- 12 added minerals and vitamins
- Patented design that acts like a toothbrush
- Large quantity range
- No artificial flavors
- VOHC seal
- Freshens the breath
- Not for smaller dogs
- Expensive per treat — $2.99
Why we choose this product: Its unique design reaches the entire mouth, including the gums. Plus, the added fresh breath is a great extra.
Veggie pup dental chews that reach all over the mouth for improved oral health and fresh breath. The product has a VOHC seal and improves digestive health, too.
These veggie dental chews have a delicious taste and come in packs of 30 or 60. They’re Z-shaped and have a chewy consistency to help fight plaque and tartar build-up.
The product is designed to help your pup get used to the chew action, which removes the build-up of tartar. Plus, it has a VOHC seal.
The chews act on the digestive system, too, fighting off any gut bacteria causing bad breath.
90% of owners noticed a significant change in their pups’ breath, making this arguably one of the top dental chews for dogs for bad breath.
- No meat by-product
- Z-shape gets into all mouth areas
- VOHC seal
- Great for bad breath
- Easy to digest
- Can be too chewy for smaller pups
- Not a good option for gulping pups
Why we choose this product: We love that the chews are plant-based and contain no animal by-products.
One of the best dog dental chews that contain delmopinol to help fight bacteria and plaque build-up. The product freshens breath while maintaining optimum oral health. The treats are easily digestible and come in many sizes for all breeds.
These veterinarian-recommended dog chews are made from delmopinol, which creates a protective teeth layer to prevent future buildup. Also, it helps with bacteria, plaque, and tartar. Plus, the chews fight bad breath, too.
These dental chews are easily digestible, which is brilliant for pups that can be sensitive to chews. There are options for all sizes — extra small (3.5–9 lbs), small (10–24 lbs), medium (25–50 lbs), and large (50+ lbs). All of these have the VOHC seal of approval.
OraVet Dental Hygiene Chews for Dogs is possibly the finest dog plaque remover. It comes in quantities of 14 or 30, and it’s for pups between 10–24 lbs. But we don’t recommend it for pups under six months.
- The only pup oral product made with delmopinol
- Creates a teeth barrier to prevent further build-up
- Easily digestible
- Options for all pup sizes
- VOHC seal
- Not for young pups
- Might be a bit hard
Why we choose this product: It’s the only pup product on the market containing delmopinol, which is scientifically proven to help with many oral issues.
Dental chews for dogs with allergies. This product contains five natural ingredients to help fight bad breath. It’s also soft on tummies. The unique design removes any build-ups. Plus, most pups love the taste.
These delicious treats contain five natural ingredients that give your pup fresh breath. They’re possibly the top dental chews for dogs with bad breath that really work.
The alfalfa, fennel, parsley, dill, and peppermint also eliminate tummy bacteria that may cause bad breath. Plus, there are no filler ingredients like wheat, corn, or soy which often cause upset tummies.
The product boasts a VOHC seal and is vet-recommended. In our opinion, it’s fantastic value for money, with each treat costing only $0.33 in a bag of 40.
It’s on our list as arguably the top tier dental chews for medium dogs. The unique shape is marvelous for plaque build-up, and you can give the chew daily to dogs over 40 lbs.
- Five natural ingredients
- Helps fight stomach bacteria causing bad breath
- Great value for money
- VOHC seal
- Unique shape that cleans the entire mouth
- Soft on puppies’ tummies
- Only for larger dogs
- The smell isn’t to everyone’s liking
Why we choose this product: The five natural ingredients help fight oral bacteria and are an excellent option for dogs sensitive to ingredients like wheat.
Beef rawhide dental chews with natural antiseptic properties, aiding in plaque removal and bad breath. The chews have a poultry flavor and come in sizes for all pups.
These oral dog chews are made with beef rawhide. It acts as a natural antiseptic, working well for bacteria and plaque build-up.
Some added ingredients include poultry, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, dried aspergillus, and maltodextrins.
The chews have a delicious poultry flavor that dogs simply can’t resist. This puppy dental chew is available for all breed sizes.
Overall, it’s excellent value for money. The rawhide has just the right texture for pups to chew, removing most tartar buildup without brushing your dog’s teeth.
- Made with beef rawhide
- Great poultry flavor for picky eaters
- Rawhide acts as a natural antiseptic
- Available for all pup sizes
- Excellent value for money
- Shape can’t be guaranteed
- 30 pieces may be deceiving since it’s based on weight
Why we choose this product: The natural antiseptic properties make it one of the most popular dental chews for dogs with periodontal disease.
Dog dental chews made with limited ingredients in a delicious filet mignon flavor. The design is fantastic for reaching all over the mouth, removing plaque and tartar buildup.
Here’s a tasty dental treat with a filet mignon flavor. It’s made with limited natural ingredients and no artificial colors or preservatives.
As one of the leading chews for dental health for dogs, it has a patented 360 design that acts like a brush for hard-to-reach mouth areas. It’s best for dogs between 30–50 lbs.
The chews come in packs of 10 or 20. The latter is the better price choice since it’s only a $2 difference. Also, there’s a wide range of sizes available for different breeds between 10–50 lbs. Plus, it’s made in the US.
- Patented 360 design
- Limited natural ingredients
- Made in the US
- Excellent fillet mignon flavor
- No artificial preservatives
- Good alternative to dog bones for bad breath
- May stain light furniture
- Might be too soft
Why we choose this product: The patented 360 design is brilliant for reaching all mouth areas. Plus, it has very few ingredients, meaning less chance of reactions.
Gluten-free, easy-to-digest dog breath treats that reduce tartar buildup by 62%. The chews reach down the gum of each tooth, reducing bacteria buildup that can cause bad breath and gum disease.
These dog breath treats contain Omega-3 fatty acids. Also, their chewy consistency allows the teeth to go straight through, reaching the gums and removing plaque buildup over the entire tooth by 25% and tartar by 62%.
They’re gluten-free and brilliant for allergy-prone doggos. Plus, the product has the VOHC seal and comes highly vet-recommended.
Checkups — Dental Dog Treats are easy to digest and soft on pup tummies. You can also place them in the microwave to make some tip tier soft dental chews for dogs.
The 24 piece bag is sourced and made in the US and Canada. It has all the right ingredients to give your dog fresh breath, too.
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Soft on tummies
- Reduces tartar buildup by 62%
- Easy to digest
- A line down the middle to divide
- VOHC seal
- Recommended for dogs over 20 lbs
- Could be very chewy for some pups
Why we choose this product: The chews have been well studied, meaning the manufacturer has the facts and figures to back up this product to the highest degree.
Gluten and grain-free dental chews for dogs with no added preservatives or colorants. The product is suitable for pups that are five pounds and over. Also, it’s an excellent choice for allergy-prone dogs.
These 72 dog chews have no added flavor, coloring, or preservatives, so they work great for hypoallergenic pups.
The chews are grain and gluten-free, too. They have two sides with different grooves, nubs, and ridges to help get plaque off teeth. Also, the design is made for paws, making it super easy for dogs to handle the product and get a grip with their teeth.
With 72 per pack, they’re one of the best affordable natural dental chews for dogs. The recommended dosage is one chew daily for pups between 5–30 lbs and two chews for 30 lbs and over.
- Paw-friendly design
- No added preservatives or flavoring
- Gluten and grain-free
- Suitable for all pup sizes
- No VOHC seal
- Can cause an upset tummy
Why we choose this product: We love that the product has a paw-friendly design. Plus, it truly is excellent value for money.
All-natural, hypoallergenic turkey tendons made and sourced in the US. This puppy dental chew is easy to digest and a brilliant alternative to rawhide products. Also, it’s great value for money.
These are all-natural dental chews for dogs with allergies. They’re only made from turkey tendon and coconut glycerin, so they’re perfect for pups who can’t have other types of chews.
They come in many shapes — bone, twist, rope, and for senior dogs, so pick the one best suited to your pupper.
The product is handmade in the US and has no artificial flavors, antibiotics, or coloring. Plus, it’s easy to digest and breaks off into small pieces.
The chewy consistency promotes plaque breakdown and strengthens the gums. As one of the best dental chews for dogs made in the USA, they’re great value for money. Alternatives usually cost much more than regular products, but these are very well priced for what you get.
They come in packs of 0.187 lbs, and the product is lightweight because of the limited ingredients. We also love that these chews are perfect for pups of any size.
- Made with turkey tendon
- Only two ingredients
- Different shapes for all pup needs
- Suitable for all breeds
- Easy to digest
- Some pups might get through the chew quickly
- Could be outsourced in Vietnam despite advertising
Why we choose this product: The all-natural turkey tendons are great for chewing. Plus, they are suitable for all pup breeds.
Buyer’s Guide to the Perfect Dental Chews
There’s a lot to consider to ensure your doggo is getting the best pup dental chews. Here’s what you need to know.
How to Choose?
Generally, think about every aspect of your pup’s life, so that you can decide on the most suitable dental chews.
- Dog size: Dog chews instructions always recommend which pups are best suited for the product. If you have a tiny tot, giving it a massive chew made for a 50+ lbs dog won’t be very pleasant, and it will likely cause an upset tummy.
- Dog age: Some treats are specifically for puppies or senior dogs. You can find the optimal dental chews for dogs with few teeth, which are soft and don’t require much chewing — brilliant for older dogs.
- Specific Diet requirements: Allergies affect 20% of dogs, and 10% are due to food. They’re usually caused by wheat, grain, and other fillers, so make sure to get the best dry food for dog allergies and a hypoallergenic treat. If your dog’s overweight, a low-calorie option is best. Lastly, to keep it natural, go for plant-based and organic treats.
- Flavor and texture: Some pups can be quite picky about food. Look for chews that have a meat flavor like chicken or turkey. The texture might also be an issue, so try a soft chew and a harder one to see what works best.
- Shape: It’s all about how well the product can clean the teeth. You’ll notice that the best dog dental chews have many shapes. It helps the product reach all over the mouth and be chewier, which removes the plaque and tartar. Look for something with ridges and nubs, as those tend to massage the gums while cleaning the teeth.
- Amount: Most dental chews have a daily dosage. And the number of chews in your chosen product roughly predicts how long it might last. Consider this when you find the right treat so that you can stock up.
What Are Dental Chews and How Do They Work?
Dog breath chews promote chewing to remove plaque, tartar, and bacteria build-up on dogs’ teeth and gums.
The chew will usually cover the entire tooth, reaching the gumline for optimum dental and oral health. But nothing can replace the benefits of brushing your dog’s teeth. Still, some dogs truly hate it and simply can’t sit still long enough for owners to get the job done.
We recommend a daily dental chew and trying to brush your dog’s teeth at least once a week. Yearly vet visits for oral health are also crucial.
Types of Oral Hygiene for Dogs
Not all oral hygiene chews for dogs are made equal. Here are the different types and what you should know about them:
- Dental chews, treats, and sticks: They have a chewy consistency that removes tartar and plaque buildup. Some have added ingredients to kill bacteria and vitamins for fresh breath.
- Chewing toys: Indestructible dog toys promote chewing action, which is excellent for massaging gums and can remove some plaque, but not on the same level as the chews. Still, using both could be a great option.
- Dental diet: The best dog dental chews aren’t the only edible solution. Some dog food reduces plaque and tartar build-up. It has a chewy consistency and added ingredients that fight dental issues.
- Brushing: Most pups despise teeth brushing, which is why we have products like dental chews. If you can get your puppy to cooperate, try brushing at least once a week.
- Teeth wipe: It might sound a bit strange, but these products wipe away any surface contaminants on the teeth, such as leftover food or tartar. But again, only some pups will be okay with that. Others won’t let you touch their teeth.
Benefits of Dental Chews for Dogs & Why You Need Them?
Oral hygiene chews for dogs have a massive range of benefits. Here’s what they do:
- Improve teeth and gum health: Gums need stimulation to avoid disease. Also, teeth cleaning helps prevent decay.
- Reduce tartar, bacteria, and plaque build-up: Plaque and tartar build-up can cause painful issues, so you need to remove them regularly.
- Help with irritated or bleeding gums: Dogs and cats can suffer from gingivitis from a young age. Chews avoid further irritation and possibly fix bleeding gums altogether.
- Reduce bad breath: Bad pup breath can be horrible when going in for our daily kisses. Luckily, the best organic dental chews for dogs can eliminate bad breath while improving overall oral health.
- Less teeth brushing: You might be lucky enough to have a pup that won’t mind teeth brushing. Unfortunately, that’s not the case for most owners and dogs.
- Stop unwanted chewing: If your dog’s chewing the furniture or shoes, you can simply replace that with a chew, and show your dog the appropriate items to chew on.
At a Glance — Summary of Our Top Picks
Greenies Original Regular Natural Dental Dog Treats: Best overall
Checkups — Dental Dog Treats: Gluten-free dental chews for dogs
Virbac C.E.T. VeggieDent Fr3sh Tartar Control Dog Chews: Budget-friendly natural dental chews for dogs
OraVet Dental Hygiene Chews for Dogs, 10–24 lbs: Dental chews that help plaque, tartar, and bad breath for dogs
VetIQ Minties Medium/Large Dental Bone Dog Treats: Grain-free dental chews for dogs
Kirkland Signature Dental Chews: Dental chews for small dogs
Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Dental Dog Chews: Dental chews for healthy dogs teeth
Nylabone Nutri Dent Limited Ingredients Filet Mignon Natural Large Dental Dog Treats: Dog plaque remover treats
AFreschi Turkey Tendon for Dogs, Premium All-Natural, Hypoallergenic Dog Chew Treat: Dental chews for senior dogs
Milk-Bone Original Brushing Chews Daily Dental Dog Treats: Dental chews for extra large dogs
Safety Tips for Using Dog Breath Treats
You should be careful with the following:
- Always monitor your dogs while they’re chewing.
- Ensure there’s fresh water available.
- Buy size-appropriate treats.
- Don’t break hard treats, as it can cause sharp edges.
Other Effective Methods
- Regular brushing: It’s the number one way to avoid dental disease and decay. We recommend trying the Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste on Chewy.
- Water additives: These products are super easy to use. You simply add it to your pet’s daily water, and it can eliminate bad breath and remove oral bacteria. We like the Oxyfresh Premium Pet Dental Care Solution Pet Water Additive on Amazon.
- Professional cleaning: Vets recommend a good professional cleaning once a year. They’ll put your dog under general anesthetic, so the vet can clean, examine, and treat any oral issues.
- Vitamins: Certain pup vitamins help prevent periodontal disease. We recommend the Ora-Clens 1-TDC Periodontal Dog & Cat Supplement on Chewy.
Final Thoughts: The Leader Dental Chews for Dogs
If you don’t take care of it properly, bad oral hygiene can make your dog very sick.
You can find many options for cleaning your dog’s teeth, but dental chews are a great alternative to daily brushing.
Our top pick is Greenies Original Regular Natural Dental Dog Treats. They’re tried and trusted by vets and owners. Plus, they make your puppy’s breath smell great while keeping their oral hygiene pristine.
Do dental chews really work for dogs?
Studies have shown that compared to dogs with no oral hygiene routine, chews can remove up to 80% of plaque and tartar build-up. They reduce further oral issues down the road and help dogs who simply hate teeth brushing.
What’s the best way to take care of a dog’s teeth?
Nothing replaces brushing. But most dogs hate it, so dental chews come in a close second. Remember that your dog needs to have its teeth checked and professionally cleaned once a year, and you should still try brushing them once a week.
What are the finest cleaning dental chews for dogs currently on the market?
If you ask us, the best dental chews for dogs overall are the Greenies Original Regular Natural Dental Dog Treats. They have all the right ingredients to keep your puppy’s breath fresh and mouth bacteria out. Plus, they’re available for dogs of all sizes and offer excellent quality.